Parenting Tips to Help Your Child Cope up with Anger Issues.
Anger is the most common emotion we living beings experience, and it is mostly deemed negative.
Anger is an emotion that can turn into extremely negative expressions like frustration, violence, aggression, etc. Hence, it's very important to manage anger issues very early.
Starting anger management practices early in life is a sign of good parenting. Anger management is the biggest challenge in the parenting world.
Here, I will share 5 Essential Parenting Tips to Help Your Child Cope with Anger.
1. Create Awareness in the Child about Feelings and Emotions.
- Children are the most ignorant group in society; as they grow old, they become more aware.
- Children learn everything from their parents and their surroundings. Hence, every parent must make their children aware of their feelings and emotions.
- The awareness of their Anger emotion will liberate them and help them label Anger as negative or bad and help them use it less or avoid it completely.
- Awareness of the Anger emotion will also help them follow the Anger Management Techniques efficiently.
- For example, If you stuff a tasteless food item into your children's mouth, they will spit it instantly, but if you explain to them and make them aware of the benefits of the food item, then there are high chances that they are going to accept it.
- Hence, awareness is directly proportional to Acceptance.
2. Incorporate Anger Management Techniques.
- Anger Management requires the incorporation of proper techniques to find a successful result.
- Few techniques are,
- Angry Thermometer- In this technique, parents should draw a thermometer and label numbers from 1 to 10, where 1 indicates less Anger, 5 indicates mid-level Anger, and 10 indicates more Anger. This assessment of the child's Anger can calm them down and think.
- Counting Numbers- Yes, it is a very old school technique, but it works amazingly well. When the child is angry, before reacting, they must count numbers starting from 1 till 10/20 until they acquire calmness. This method helps them calm down their Anger,
- Walking Away- This technique might sound rude, but it is one of the best ways to cope with Anger. First, the child must be taught to walk away from anything or anyone that triggers their emotion of Anger.
- Indulging Children in creative activities- Children must be taught to indulge in creative activities like painting, sketching, dancing, writing, etc., whenever they experience Anger.
3. Avoid Violent Media.
- Children are very receptive to the environment around them. Hence, the parents must create a calm environment for their children to grow.
- Today, most children are exposed to mobiles, laptops and televisions, and the parents should keep a thorough check on the content consumed by the children.
- Children should be kept away from violent content, including movies, TV shows, web series or cartoons.
- Fortunately, every platform today has an in-built kids mode that is free from any violent content and is a big relief for the Parents.
4. Avoid Showing Anger in front of your Children.
- Children are the most innocent souls on the whole planet. The only people children acquire their habits and behaviour are their parents.
- When parents' behaviour plays such an important role for their kids, the parents must keep a check on their violent actions.
- Anger as human emotion is very common for adults, but you should never express it in front of your children.
- Parents must shield their children from Anger.
5. Teach Yoga and Meditation.
- Children are extremely restless and the most active creatures. Unfortunately, this restlessness makes negative emotions like Anger creep in easily onto them.
- Instilling practices like Yoga and Meditation will bring their monkey mind to rest for a while and help them cope with anger issues significantly.
- Meditation for children at the beginning should just be sitting in silence for 10-15 mins per day.
- If adopted at an early age, these practices will have very good behavioural changes as the children grow.